Saturday, July 16, 2016

Flat Stanley Project: Seeing the World through Your Flat Friend's Eyes

     Last winter I began the Flat Stanley Project with my 2nd grade enrichment students. We created the little friends before Christmas so they could travel during the holiday season. . We were not able to go any further in the project because some FS's had not traveled at all so I had some friends take them on their adventures and took them on my own Disney vacation.

     To those who do not know what Flat Stanley is, in short it is a literacy project where flat friends travel, those who take them on adventure send pictures to the students who get to learn about other parts of the world.

     I think this is such an amazing project and had fun taking my student's flat friends on vacation. One of them actually fell behind some fixtures at Disneyland in Pooh Corner so one of the girls gets to live in Disneyland forever.

     The flat friends attended the character breakfast with us and many of the Disney cast members and characters participated with the fun.

     Of course I know the FS's aren't real and my students know they aren't real but this project takes children to parts of the world they may never get to  travel. My students might never get to leave their home town so through this project they experience the world. The kids absolutely love that thought.

     Literacy is tied into it all because the students read and learn about the places their flat friends travels. Some may think it is silly but to my students it opens the world up  to them. It also teaches them that they can travel the world through books which prompts reading and from there they find endless adventures.

+Flat Stanley +Project + literacy
   

5 comments:

  1. How I remember when my now 20 year old granddaughter and 18 year old grandson had Flat Stanleys! I think it's awesome! We didn't travel a lot but Stanley went to work with us, shopping and even for rides on my Harley. Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For my students the Stanley's even going to a town 45 miles away is huge. The new age of computers can also make them travel far away....I had people I'm friends with send them to England via computer. It is neat and you are welcome for the memories.

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of ''flat Stanley's'' but it sounds like a real good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never heard of Flat Stanley's before. It sounds like an entertaining way to get children incvolved.

    ReplyDelete